Wednesday 8 December 2010

A Cure for Acrylic Nail Abuse...



I don't think the wag/essex connotations could ever be removed from acrylic nails. Having spent a year with them, I can certainly see why so many girls (and some boys) get them done, regardless of the footballer wife stereotype. Yes they make your nail's longer in a matter of minutes, your nail varnish is virtually chip free, and the durabilty of them is pretty impressive. Although these are the only positives I can think of. The upkeep in itself drove me insane, not to mention the ongoing costs. I was visiting the salon twice a month, once for a refill and once for a touch up. And to be honest I felt like it was a waste of my time! (One of the reasons why I'm now boycotting acrylics!) But the main obvious reason was the simple fact that they damage your own nails. After I had my overlays removed my nails were as thin as paper and filled with dents and ridges. The ongoing filing and chemical layering can make yours nails crack, split and just look really really ugly!

It took me about 4\5 weeks for the ridges to grow out of my nails. During this time I wore gloves! Although I found a good ridge\dent disguise is a base coat, around 5 layers of varnish and a few top coats, this only works if you can be bothered to wait for the lengthy drying process.

It was my manicurist who introduced me to essie's millionails. A simple base coat that strengthens and lengthens weak brittle nails. Honestly, its a god send. I don't think my nails have ever been as strong as they are now. Simply paint a layer on twice, three times a week, either on its own or under varnish and voila...nails that would withstand most physicalities. And when I have finished with the millionails I'm told I then need to move on to billionails, how exciting!

P.S Also, give Essie's Apricot Cuticle Oil a go, it's slightly more expensive than other cuticle products but it smells gorgeous and has a lovely consistancy that quickly absorbs into your nail bed.

Essie Millionails - £13.45
Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil - £9.95

2 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with your comment on acrylics ruining your nails because as a trained nail tech I can honestly say it is rarely the product that ruins a person's nails but the nail tech instead. Usually, damage is caused by poor technique and over buffing of the natural nail plate rather than the blending of the actual tip or acrylic itself

    It's a shame acrylics get such bad press when the product (if it is good quality and does not contain Methylmethacrylate; MMA) actually does very little harm at all

    It's a good job you found a nail cure though, and I am an advocate of Essie products as well! Hopefully in the future you can find a well trained nail technician who may just change your mind about acrylics ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for finding a good nail technician, but for the mean time I'm still going to try and go ahead with this natural malarky! Wish me luck..I doubt it will last very long! xx

    ReplyDelete