Friday 31 December 2010

An Art Deco Moment...




Being trained as a make-up artist specifically for film and TV you tend to notice many things others would not. Small things really, like trying to find the edge of a prosthetic or wig lace. Making sure the whole face has been made up and no one has forgotten to leave out the bright red ears (Could not let go of Edward’s burning ears in the first Twilight!) Other than the mistakes, there are a few productions that really inspire and have to be acknowledged for their beauty, two of my favourite films are Pan’s Labyrinth and Changeling. Both are too beautiful to describe and are definite must sees.

A more recent BBC period drama that caught my attention was Upstairs Downstairs. Not to mention the well acted and appealing storyline, the pure aesthetics alone were extremely graceful and refined. I have always admired the elegance of this era and endorsed anything to do with it, minus the sexism and growing fascism of course. For those who didn’t get a chance to see, it is a follow on from the original BBC drama which views the lives of the Holland family and their servants in 1936. Keely Hawes plays the beautiful Lady of the house. Her make-up is very particular of the time; smooth lucid skin, a slight blush and perfect lips. Being set in the 1930’s the complex finger wave had now developed into the looser and much calmer Marcel wave. Keely’s hair and make-up has been the inspiration for this blog post, being a trained make-up artist and all, I thought it was about time to put my skills on show.

Dusting off the heated rollers, I set my hair very flat on top, with the bulk of volume at the back and sides. After this had set, I bushed out the curls and teased them into round loops. (Shorter hair is more preferred for this style, as with longer hair you will need to tuck in the curls to make them appear shorter and then pin them in place) Just a small dash of hair spray should do the trick to finish it all off. With the make-up it’s all very fresh and natural. You can put in some shadow to enhance the eye socket but on fairer skin tones it looks best left alone. As I am of a more olive complexion the darker rouge suits my colouring more so than a pinky one. The lip colours of the wealthier 1930’s woman were all quite intense; this matched their decadent furs and jewels. Try matching your lipstick to your nails for an especially refined finished.

I honestly wish I had the time to do this every morning! Let me know what you think...

(Don’t panic either, the fox fur in my pics is vintage, a family heirloom in fact!)

No comments:

Post a Comment